Tuesday 7 September 2010

Quick Fix

Part of the grand plan in my new room was to 'sink' my machine down to table level  so that, hopefully, my arms and shoulders wouldn't ache so much particularly when attempting FMQ.  Well, I am now the proud owner of a table with a hole in it complete with sunken machine courtesy of DH and his trusty tool box! We re-designed my extension table to cover the gaps and this is a real help with the 'slide-abillity' factor as well  keeping the table in use.

 


 
I know there are all sorts of posh quilting tables available and also some super swish hydraulic systems for raising and lowering the carrying platform , but I am afraid that none of these are available locally and if they were the cost would be at least twice the price they are in the UK or USA, so this lifting device is worked by Ann Power.  Having said that, now that it's in place there seems to be no need to move it at all - an instant benefit from having more room, the machine can stay put.

Before attempting the dreaded FMQ though, I thought a small project would be just the thing for a trial run, and I found just the one here on quiltsbycheri .  A lovely little mystery sampler Quilt A Long called Soot &  Ashes and these are the first 4 blocks  


The blocks work out at 5 1/2 inches unfinished, but I have changed the  colour scheme as I've been wanting to use this fabric for ages so maybe I should call this one Strawberries & Cream, what do you think? 

Is the low level stitching easier ?  Well, the first half hour was a bit strange as my whole perspective had changed, but I think once my mind accepts this it should be OK.

2 comments:

Gina said...

Well done hubby.

Mine didn't sink my machine he just extended my sewing extension to cover the whole of my table, so the same effect but my machine stayed at the right height for me. I don't know how I ever sewed before he did that as it makes life so much easier.

Love the little sampler

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Kaye said...

Lucky you with a very handy DH. Strawberries and cream is perfect for the red/cream blocks